Master stylist Edith Eller and brand manager of Magrada Kaire Miiter share tips for restoring your dull tresses after the summer heat.
This year, the sun was particularly generous to the people in the Northern part of Europe. High temperatures, salty sea water, comfy hair buns – we might love all of that, but a hot summer is definitely not the favourite season for our hair! The reason for this is simple. Sun and seawater dry the hair, causing it to become frizzy and brittle.
But don’t worry! Even if you neglected your hair a little in the summer, all is not lost – autumn is the best time for restoring the strength and shine of your locks.
Master stylist Edith Eller explains in greater detail what damages hair in the summer and how to restore its shine in the autumn to prepare your tresses properly for the winter.
What affects the health of hair in summer the most?
‘The sun, the sea, and the wind,’ says Edith. ‘Even though a gust of wind would feel pleasantly cooling on a sweltering summer day, the dust that it brings will unfortunately not support hair health.’
How can you tell that your hair has been damaged in the summer?
Edith states that your tresses could be more brittle and fragile after the summer. ‘Combing becomes harder and there are more tangles. The hair is also no longer shiny and has lost its elasticity.’
What are the steps for restoring the health and appearance of damaged hair?
‘Daily hair care at home is extremely important,’ Edith says. ‘Masks, masks, and I repeat, masks! Anything deeply and intensely moisturising is good for your hair. Serums, oils, and leave-in conditioners would all work very well.’
The eco-friendly and clean natural cosmetic products of Magrada are inspired by the nature of the island of Hiiumaa. Efficient hair care products are made of potent Nordic ingredients.
Brand manager of natural cosmetics of Magrada, Kaire Miiter, shares tips for your autumn hair care routine.
Which concerns bring clients to Magrada after a long summer?
‘By the end of the summer, hair tends to be drier, frizzier, and more brittle. Unfortunately, we love summer more than our hair does! Several factors, such as UV radiation, sea salt, and pool water, damage hair structure and dry it out. Autumn is the best time for a complete restoration of the shine of your tresses and for preparing them for the coming wintry weather. The key is the correct hair care routine,’ says Kaire.
What is your own autumn hair care routine like?
‘The external layer of the hair shaft, or the cuticle, consists of cells which are responsible for protecting hair from environmental factors, such as light and heat. In the summer, hair could become damaged, resulting in fragile, dry, and dull locks. Only one thing helps to strengthen the cuticle – moisturisation. Use a moisturising hair mask regularly, such as Magrada’s deeply moisturising Rhubarb Hair Mask with Castor Oil.
My own autumn hair care routine consists of the following steps: regardless of the season, I always use a deep cleansing solid shampoo from the Linden Flower line, which contains nourishing cocoa butter and plant extracts and promotes hair growth. I continue with a conditioner from the same line – the Linden Flower Conditioner with Nordic Birch Extract, which protects from dry ends. Once a week, I use an intensely moisturising hair mask for 15 minutes (Rhubarb Hair Mask).’
Three recommendations for restoring shine after a hot summer
- In addition to the sun, the hair and scalp must tolerate the build-up of beauty and hygiene products, dead skin cells, and environmental pollution. Using shampoo too frequently can remove natural oils from hair. Your hair needs them to stay healthy and strong. If hair becomes greasy quickly and you must wash it more frequently, then use the deep-cleansing Solid Linden Flower Shampoo with Nordic Birch Extract. This moisturising shampoo will clean hair from the build-up of beauty products blocking its natural gleam.
- If you have a dry scalp, I would recommend our Rhubarb Shampoo with Aloe Extract, which will give your hair an unprecedented luminosity and glow. Due to its moisturising properties, the results are visible after the first wash.
- Your hair loves moisturising and nourishing masks. The Rhubarb Hair Mask contains nutrient-rich oils, such as castor and macadamia nut oils, which help to smooth the hair structure and provide intensive moisturisation, preventing dullness – a less porous hair shaft and smooth cuticles increase the radiance of the hair. Please note! Hair products should always be rinsed out with plenty of cool water.
With the arrival of autumn, our customers prefer products that...
- are moisturising, which makes them suitable for a dry scalp
- give hair an iridescent shine and lustre
- strengthen damaged hair structure
- are suitable for daily use
- nourish and offer intensive moisturisation to the hair
- restore damaged hair structure
- reduce fizz
- give a bewitching glow
- make hair voluminous, so they are well-suited for thin hair
- stimulate natural hair growth
- improve the hair structure
- are suitable for daily use
- foster natural hair growth
- make the hair easy to comb
- make the hair light and bouncy
- prevent dry ends